I've been able to make quite a bit of progress on my quilt in the last couple of days and thought that warranted a blog update!
I finished all my squares and have put together 5 out of my 6 blocks of squares. I have to do a little touch-up work on one of my other squares before I can finish the 6th block. I ended up doing a design of my own for the quilt because I wanted a bigger quilt than the one in the book, I wanted a rectangular quilt because that's better for covering up and I didn't want to make as many squares as it would have taken to make the quilt in the book bigger (that was the bottom line!). So I just came up with the design in my head. Here's what I've come up with...
Here's what the six blocks of squares will look like together.
They will then have this border around them and then another 5" wide border around this border. This border is my favorite fabric of all the fabric that I bought.
I have 5 of the 6 big squares sewed together in this picture.
I'm thinking it will end up being around 56" by 40" which would be nice. I'm excited to be moving on now because this is the fun (and much faster) part. I told Drew I know I'm getting better at this because I'm learning how to compensate for all my mistakes! I managed to end up with the big squares all being about the same size despite the fact that all my individual squares were not. That's exciting! I'll keep you posted on how things go!