Monday, August 11, 2014

The Domestic Life

I spend a lot more time here cooking and doing things from scratch in order to enjoy more tasty foods. I realize how much more time I do this now having just returned from the US. I did not even use my rolling pin once while we were in the US and I certainly didn't can jam! Anyway, it's work and therefore takes time but it is worth it to have yummy food products to enjoy on a day-to-day basis.

Here is what is in our fridge right now...all except the jar of tomato sauce have been prepared since we returned...


1. Peach butter (like apple butter, but with peaches. I canned 6 or 7 of those small jars. 2. Raspberry jam- raspberries are crazy cheap here so it's an easy jam solution. However, this year I didn't measure my berries correctly and therefore added too much pectin so it's really thick. It tastes good though! 3. Strawberry sauce- I just made one jar of this with some strawberries we had left from Drew's birthday. Yummy! 

4. Tomato sauce canned last year by my house helper. 5. Salsa I canned last week. I think I filled six jars that size and one that is a quart size. 6. Bread and butter pickles- I made one recipe of these and they are easy and tasty.

I don't think I'm super special for doing all this. It really is only out of necessity, though I do enjoy providing for my family. I also really enjoy all these things already being provided for me but hey, you have to work with what you've got! I will do a large batch of tomato sauce canning at the end of the month and we'll be ready for winter!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Will you share your salsa recipe and bread/butter pickles recipe, please? I've tried to can salsa here but mine went bad…something was not right about it for canning.

And I wish raspberries were crazy cheap here!